Re: freed_symbols [Re: People, not GPL [was: Re: Driver Model]]

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 08:57:44 EST

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:24:36AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 20:45 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > People get all worked up over this but when they do then they should
> > also claim that system calls are not a boundary either.
>
> The first paragraph of the COPYING file makes it entirely clear that
> system calls were not considered to be such a boundary.

You're forgetting that what the GPL says doesn't matter if it is
unenforceable. Remember all the people yelling at me that they can
reverse engineer BK in spite of any no-reverse-engineering clauses?
That same logic applies to the GPL, you can't have it both ways.

It doesn't matter what you think, or I think, or Linus thinks. What
matters is what is legal and what isn't.
--
---