RE: [ACPI] p2b-ds blacklisted?

From: Brown, Len
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 01:08:46 EST

> > I would like to try what happens if i remove the board from the
> > blacklist.
>
> ... I removed the board from the blacklist,

> The kernel started and there were some issues with the interrupt
> routing....

> With "pci=noapci" the computer hang upon loading the kernel
> module for the SCSI controller.
> At first sight ACPI (without pci=noacpi) seemed to work but
> pressing the
> power button didn't generate any events although the power button was
> detected properly during boot.

Nothing registered on the acpi interrupt in /proc/interrupts?

> After all i think i know why P2B-S and -DS are blacklisted. The board
> with on-board SCSI controller are messed up somehow.
>
> I haven't tried to install BIOS 1014beta3 yet. BIOS 1014beta2 is
> currently installed but i guess the update won't solve anything.

Depends on the root cause -- try it. If it works we can replace the current blacklist entry with one keyed off the BIOS date.

If you want Linux/ACPI to work on this board, or proof that the board can't possibly support it, then then file a bug:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/
Category: Power Management
Component: ACPI

Attach the console log and /proc/interrupts of the failure, dmidecode output, and acpidmp output.

> With acpi=ht it works for now, but doesn't acpi=ht imply pci=noacpi?

Booting with acpi=force should be the same as removing the P2B-DS from the dmi blacklist.

acpi=ht will use ACPI for enumerating processors, and then ACPI will exit.
ACPI will not be used to configure interrupts and the interpreter will not
run so you'll get no run-time events. If this system doesn't have HT and has MPS, then ACPI with acpi=ht does nothing for you that you don't have already.

pci=noacpi is the same as above except the interpreter _will_ run in support of run-time events.

Ie. Acpi=ht will give you "ACPI: Interpreter disabled" and pci=noacpi will not.

Cheers,
-Len