Re: NFS/MOUNT/sunrpc problem?

From: Marco Bertoncin - Sun Microsystems UK - Platform OS Development Engineer
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 12:44:08 EST

An update on this.
After numerous experiments, I now suspect some code in userland. I managed to
find the traceback involved in the storm and every packet generated in the storm
repeats the whole of the patern:

tg3_start_xmit
qdisc_restart
dev_queue_xmit
ip_finish_output2
ip_build_xmit
udp_sendmsg
inet_sendmsg
sock_sendmsg
sys_sendto
sys_socketcall

This is a MOUNT req, not NFS, so we are using userland rpc?

Now, just as a conformation, if I put a delay in sys_socketcall after each group
of 40 packets sent, my storm recovers after 40 packets!

I was sidetracked by my ignorance of the fact that the MOUNT call does not go
through the kernel module nfs/sunrpc, which made me go off instrumenting,
debugging and tracing those modules that do not even get used :-((((((((!

Marco