Re: [RFC] add kobject to struct module

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 18:46:31 EST

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:32:47AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:24:21PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > A while ago we had talked about adding a kobject to struct module. By
> > doing this we add support for module paramaters and other module info to
> > be exported in sysfs. So here's a patch that does this that is against
> > 2.6.0-test4 (it applies with some fuzz, sorry.)
>
> Please excuse my short-sightedness, but I think the following points
> haven't been thought deeply enough:
>
> - modules which use their parameters on initialisation only once.
> (eg, 3c59x "full_duplex" parameter)
>
> - Also, what about module parameters which modules aren't expecting to
> change beneath themselves? (eg, all the watchdog modules)
>
> - Are we opening the floodgates for another round of races and driver
> updates?

If you set the "perm" portion of the module_param() macro to 0, then the
sysfs file will not be created. That will cause all of the old modules
that use the MODULE_PARAM() macro to not have things change for them, as
they will not be expecting it.

To quote from include/linux/moduleparam.h:
/* This is the fundamental function for registering boot/module
parameters. perm sets the visibility in driverfs: 000 means it's
not there, read bits mean it's readable, write bits mean it's
writable. */

Sound ok with you?

thanks,

greg k-h