Re: NFS/MOUNT/sunrpc problem?

From: Marco Bertoncin - Sun Microsystems UK - Platform OS Development Engineer
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 11:09:13 EST

I just realized I sent my reply only to Alan ... sorry!

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:02:24 +0100 (BST)
From: Marco Bertoncin - Sun Microsystems UK - Platform OS Development Engineer
<mb144209@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NFS/MOUNT/sunrpc problem?
To: alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alan,
thanks for replying so quickly!

> Update the kernel once installed, the 2.4.18- kernels are obsoleted by
> other security fixes

Yes, we are working with several versions (rh-8.0, rh-9.0, as2.1, el3.0a2), and
would like to support all of them. If this was for internal use, we would just
go to the most up-to-date version, but sometimes customers are reluctant to
upgrade (don't ask, I am not a marketing person :-))))

> I've seen one other report of this (with a via chip),

This is with Intel82801CA

> Are you using NFS root or just NFS mounts ?

Just NFS mounts. This is how we do PXE install: download vmlinuz and an initial
initrd.img image. vmlinuz uncompresses, allocates a RAM disk and mounts
initrd.img where it finds the modules necessary to carry on (tg3 driver amongst
them), then it nfs mount a directory from the install server (something like
/tftp/install/this_release/images/ where it would find configurastion files and
images for the install) and it is this MOUNT request that, if the reply gets
lost, starts the storm.
You said you already saw a similar report of this. Is this logged somewhere?

Again, Thanks very much.
Marco