Re: Linux IDE bug in 2.4.21 and 2.4.22 ?

From: Phil Dibowitz
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 22:53:44 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
But, what about the case when I built in the generic driver, but made
the CMD649 driver a module, and loaded it after boot. That shouldn't
have *changed* what ide0 and ide1 are, right? I had ide0 and ide1
assigned, did a modprobe, and CMD649 changed what ide0 adn ide1 where,
and then forgot about the previous ones.. like all of a sudden it told
the generic driver "no, no, you were wrong, there's no VIA chipset here,

Hmm. please send me dmesg.

OK,

I've posted the following:

GOOD WORKING CONFIG
http://phildev.net/config-working

GOOD WORKING DMESG
http://phildev.net/dmesg-working

NON WORKING CONFIG
http://phildev.net/config-bad

NON WORKING DMESG
http://phildev.net/dmesg-bad

As a recap...
For the non-working config, when I boot, the onboard VIA is recognized by the generic IDE driver, and then I did the dmesg, and then I modprobed CMD64X and it **reasigned** ide0 and ide1 to the PCI IDE card's chains and the original ide0 and ide1 disappeared, I therefore lost my hard drive, and the machine becomes unresponsive. I think that **might** be a bug in the CMD64X driver?

If I can provide more info, please let me know. I've kept the other kernel around so that I may boot into it if need be.

And as I said before, compiling hte VIA and CMD drivers both into the works fine on my machine, and I appreciate help getting that working, but I would like to either understand the above behavior, or know its a bug, or...

Thanks again for all your help. It really is much appreciated.

--
Phil Dibowitz phil@xxxxxxxx
Freeware and Technical Pages Insanity Palace of Metallica

- Benjamin Franklin, 1759