Re: Scaling noise

From: Daniel Gryniewicz
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 15:02:52 EST

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:11, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2003-09-03 at 18:32, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > For a lot of applications we are. Go talk to your buddies in the processor
> > group, I think there is a fair amount of awareness that for most apps faster
> > processors aren't doing any good. Ditto for SMP.
>
> >From the app end I found similar things. My gnome desktop performance
> doesn't measurably improve beyond about 7-800Mhz. Some other stuff like
> mozilla benefits from more CPU and 3D game stuff can burn all it can
> get.

Interesting. I've found that my Athlon XP 2200 is noticably faster at
Gnome than my Athlon MP 1500 (running a UP kernel). The memory and disk
is the same speed, so only the processor is different, unless the
chipsets make a huge difference. Of course, both are much faster than
my 1 GHz Athlon laptop, but there's also a large disk/memory speed
difference there.

--
Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@xxxxxxxxxxx>