Re: Scaling noise

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 14:39:12 EST

On Mer, 2003-09-03 at 18:32, Larry McVoy wrote:
> For a lot of applications we are. Go talk to your buddies in the processor
> group, I think there is a fair amount of awareness that for most apps faster
> processors aren't doing any good. Ditto for SMP.

>From the app end I found similar things. My gnome desktop performance
doesn't measurably improve beyond about 7-800Mhz. Some other stuff like
mozilla benefits from more CPU and 3D game stuff can burn all it can
get.

Disk matters a great deal (especially seek performance although there is
a certain amount of bad design in the kernel/desktop also involved
there) and memory bandwidth also seems to matter sometimes.