Re: dontdiff for 2.6.0-test4

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 12:09:41 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:39:58PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

I have updated dontdiff in the usual place:
http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/dontdiff
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Btw, what about putting this somewhere in the kernel tree?

I do not like dontdiff to be part of the kernel tree.
What is included in dontdiff is redundant information already known
by kbuild. Effectively dontdiff should not list any files that would
not be removed during a "make mrproper".

This is not exactly true.

dontdiff must know about many things that 'make mrproper' need not care about:

files with ".bak" suffix
files with "~" suffix
BitKeeper, CVS, RCS, SCCS directories

etc.