Re: linux-2.4.22 released

From: Diego Calleja García
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 17:37:50 EST

El Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:55:44 +0200 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> I must have missed the date when Debian's market share dropped under
> 0.1 % ...

Well, there're alsa packages. A lot of people use them.

> - ALSA is big and there are still some bugs in ALSA; there are more
> urgent things to be fixed in 2.4

Like the one in drivers/sound/adlib_card.c/opl3.c; which doesn't release
its io region when the module is removed (sent a workaround twice,
got ignored ;( )

> - it's easy to use ALSA even when it's not inside the kernel
> - within a few months 2.6.0 will be released with ALSA included -
> together with the point above I don't see a reason why ALSA would be
> badly needed in 2.4

Those are valid points. Still I'd love to see ALSA in 2.4. I guess this is a
matter of opinion....the VM bits from Andrea are far more important (I've read
several bug reports from people who can't get big machines working ie: kswapd decides
to take all the cpu for 1 minute)