Re: Interactivity improvements

From: Richard Curnow (Richard.Curnow@superh.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 10:24:18 EST

* Patrick McLean <pmclean@cs.ubishops.ca> [2003-08-07]:
> Another point is compilers, they tend to do a lot of disk I/O then
> become major CPU hogs, could we have some sort or heuristic that reduces
> the bonuses for sleeping on block I/O rather than other kinds of I/O
> (say pipes and network I/O in the case of X).

What about compilers chewing on source files coming in over NFS rather
than resident on local block devices? The network waits need to be
broken out into NFS versus other, or UDP versus TCP or something. e.g.
waits due to the user not having typed anything yet, or moved the mouse,
are going to be on TCP connections.

--
Richard \\\ SuperH Core+Debug Architect /// .. At home ..
  P.    /// richard.curnow@superh.com  ///  rc@rc0.org.uk