Re: X-Message-Flag

From: Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 05:10:36 EST

"Riley Williams" <Riley@Williams.Name> writes:

> Some of you have apparently been including an X-Header-Flag: header
> in your outgoing emails. A recent signature update means that any
> emails containing that header now get labelled as viruses, so get
> deleted unread by my anti-virus system. As a result, whilst those
> might be fun for you to use, they will soon prevent your emails
> from being read by many other people.

This is utterly laughable. It is clearly *not* a virus, or a
plausible vector for one[0], so folks who object to having such a
header in their incoming mail should configure their mail systems to
simply delete the header. But if you want to wall yourself off from
the rest of the Internet by means of ridiculous measures such as this,
be my guest.

[0] Modulo buffer overflows and other such potential software defects.