Re: RFC on io-stalls patch

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 06:27:37 EST

On Tue, Jul 15 2003, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-07-15 at 06:26, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Sorry, but I think that is nonsense. This is the way we have always
> > worked. You just have to maintain a decent queue length still (like we
> > always have in 2.4) and there are no problems.
>
> The memory pinning problem is still real - and always has been. It shows up
> best not on IDE disks but large slow media like magneto opticals where you
> can queue lots of I/O but you get 500K/second

Not the same thing. On slow media, like dvd-ram, what causes the problem
is that you can dirty basically all of the RAM in the system. That has
nothing to do with memory pinned in the request queue.

And that is still writes, not reads. Reads are pinned on the queue, so
very different case.

--
Jens Axboe