Re: /proc/bus/pci

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 12:00:43 EST

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Julien Oster wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
>
> Hello Linus,
>
> > What the _f*ck_ is wrong with just calling it "PCI domain". It's a fine
> > word, and yes, "domain" is used commonly in computer language, but that's
> > a _good_ thing. Everybody immediately understands what it is about.
>
> Actually... I might have a problem with it. The really large Sun
> Enterprise Servers have "Dynamic System Domains", DNS is made of
> "domains", there are "SCSI domains", in NIS you set up a "domain",
> virtual hosts at ISPs are sometimes just referred to as "domains" (ok,
> it's silly sales talk, but it's there) and I sometimes put my code
> into the "public domain".

[SNIPPED...]

I looked up domain in the dictionary and my eyes fell upon
diatribe, which I think describes the most common use of "domain".
Whatever happened to the word "group"? Why don't people just use
the word that was invented to represent commonality? Why do they
have to be "creative" and use words that are way out of context?

> Julien

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).