Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc3 : IDE pb on Alpha

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 20:14:54 EST

Jason Papadopoulos wrote:
At 11:12 PM 5/27/03 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

>FWIW, udma2 is the best you can do without accurate cable detection and
>an 80-conductor cable.

Well, even with a drive capable of ATA66, an 80-pin cable, and a kernel
configured to force assumption of higher UDMA modes, the best I've ever
done with this stupid ALI controller is udma2. I think it's deliberately
crippled.

"configured to force the assumption" does no good if the host controller driver isn't detecting the cable correctly, or is not programming 80c cable info into the host controller correctly. That's a code change not a configuration thing.

Jeff