Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc3 : IDE pb on Alpha

From: Ivan Kokshaysky (ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 09:49:25 EST

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:41:12PM -0400, Jason Papadopoulos wrote:
> Also, I've found that lately I have to attempt to boot from the hard
> drive (dqa0) about three times before the kernel finally gets pulled
> off of disk. SRM reports a bootstrap failure each time, but otherwise
> the system seems to work fine. Has anyone seen this behavior?

Yes, it's known problem. Recent 2.4 kernels shutdown the IDE disks
on halt/poweroff, which is extremely annoying on alpha when you return
to SRM prompt to boot another kernel. You'll have to wait until
the disk spins up again.

> Anything else I can do?

Send me please "lspci -vxxx -s 0:d" outputs for
- old (working) kernel;
- new kernel before and after "hdparm -d1".

Ivan.