Re: DVB updates, 2nd try

From: Michael Hunold (hunold@convergence.de)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 07:57:48 EST

Hello Christoph,

- looks fine (obsiously :)). If the old driver works with the
new firware I'd suggets sending it to Linux now

Yes, it should. It has some extended features, which are only visible through new ioctl, though.

02-saa7146-core.diff

- the WRITE_RPS0 macro is ugly as hell, you probably want to
replace it with a proper inline. But you can leave this to
a later patch. If it doesn't need the other updates I'd
suggest submitting it now.

I'd leave this to a later patch.

03-dvb-core.diff

- okay, this is a big one.. Could you submit the typedef removal
as a first separate patch so the actual changes are reviewable
more easily?

That's very difficult. I just had a look through the cvs changelogs and talked to a collegue: apparently, there haven't been any important bugfixes to the code -- only the major cleanups to get the code into "kernel shape" (typdef removals, use 16 instead of uint16_t, ...)

It would cause me a major pain to separate these diffs, because I did not tag the code very often. (my fault, I know)

The code just "works" for the dvb-subsystem, so I hope there is nothing to worry about for other coders.

- please use <linux/types.h> not <asm/types.h> everywhere
> - please include <asm/*.h> headers after <linux/*.h> ones

Ok, comes with the next patch.

- This is wrong:
-static struct dvb_device dvbdev_dvr = {
+static
+struct dvb_device dvbdev_dvr = {
instead of breaking the indention rather fix the reamining parts
of the driver

It's already hard enough to make all these changes, make sure everything compiles and works for both 2.4 and 2.5, then create the patches and ... get rejected. 8-)

If there aren't any other objections, I'd like to ask to apply these patches.

The "kernel thread uses BKL" issue works for us, but can reviewed by the responsible author of course.

CU
Michael.