Re: Linux 2.4 scheduler is RTOS-alike?

From: Ming Lei (lei.ming@attbi.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 15:01:30 EST

will it be the same behavior If thread A and thread B both have a lot of
printf? Suppose A get first run, does B get run at all?

> this question is regarding linux kernel 2.4.7-2.4.20.
> linux 2.4 kernel does support real time sheduler. If using FIFO real time
> schedule policy, would the case that higher priority thread starve the
lower
> priority thread happen? Similarly, let's say an example: if I have higher
> prioority thread A and lower priority thread B, thread A is running
without
> any wait or blocking, is there a possiblity that 2.4 scheduler may want to
> switch to thread B? Why?

Yes, FIFO threads that spin will block lower priority threads forever.

Sure, guaranteed if the high prio SCHED_FIFO task doesn't block at all. If
you have a pure cpu burner, it will starve all lower priority
threads.