Re: [patch] futex requeueing feature, futex-requeue-2.5.69-D3

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 04:03:36 EST

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > Actually it should go away before 2.6.0. sys_futex never was part of a
> > released stable kernel so having the old_ version around is silly.
>
> Hmm, in that case I'd say "just break it", and I'd be all in favour of
> demuxing the syscall.

have you all gone nuts??? It's not an option to break perfectly working
binaries out there. Hell, we didnt even reorder the new NPTL
syscalls/extensions 1-2 kernel releases after the fact. Please grow up!

the interface should have been gotten right initially. We are all guilty
of it - now lets face the consequences. It's only a couple of lines of
code in a well isolated place of the file so i dont know what the fuss is
about. I havent even added FUTEX_REQUEUE to the old API.

> But I think vendors have backported and released futexes, which is why
> Ingo did this...

of course. And which brought the productization of futexes in the first
place.

        Ingo