Re: [TRIVIAL] kstrdup

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 03:05:40 EST

In message <1050755240.3277.3.camel@dhcp22.swansea.linux.org.uk> you write:
> On Sad, 2003-04-19 at 05:48, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > And? It's still slower.
>
> You are arguing over a 1 instruction, probably sub 1 clock scheduling
> matter on a call which is not used on any fast or common path. If you
> shaved 1 clock off the timer handling instead you'd make a lot more
> difference..

Hey, if we have 50 million machines running 2.6 for three years, this
optimization saves 100 clock cycles per boot (most kstrdups are device
init), and machines boot once a month, and average 1GHz, that's three
minutes of saved time.

I think Jeff and I should start the kstrdup sourceforge project
immediately...

Cheers,
Rusty.