Re: 2.5.61 (Yes, there are still Alpha users out there. :-) )

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 06:36:24 EST

On Thu, 2003-02-20 06:23:46 -0500, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.3.96.1030220060638.14551A-101000@gatekeeper.tmr.com>:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-02-19 15:39:44 -0500, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
> > > If you have simple needs that's fine. I build for multiple groups of
> > > machines, and with a working mkinitrd I can just build a file for the boot
> > > controller on each type of machine, and only build a single kernel which
> > > will run anywhere with the proper initrd file.
> >
> > I do it the other way around - I've collected a number of .config files
> > (one for each machine) which includes everything the machine needs to
> > *boot*.
>
> But... if you have it in .config, then you have to rebuild the kernel each
> time. Maybe on an Alpha that doesn't matter, on anything I use a kernel

Guess, I do rebuilds nearly every time Linus releases a new full kernel
or one of his bk snapshots. So that doesn't really matter...

At times, even cross compiles succeed. On a dual Athlon (1.4GHz each),
building kernels doesn't really take thaaaaat long:-) Esp. if you can
keep all the kernel sources and a dozend compilers in memory:-P

> > Any additional features (LVM/DM, filesystems, iptables, ...)
> > ships as modules. Things which require a distinct order are placed into
> > /etc/modules (Debian's list of modules which need to be loaded in given
> > order), all the rest is done via alias/install lines in
> > modules.conf/modprobe.conf.
> >
> > This is, you do keep a machine's local config in its initrd, I do keep
> > it on the machine itself.
>
> Okay, now I see what you are doing, I guess you just have enough system
> power to invest the time and disk space in building a kernel for each
> config. When there was a working mkinitrd I was happily able to use fewer
> of my resources to generate boot setups for all my systems, at least of a
> given arch.

This reminds me that I wanted to have a look at an additional feature -
building the kernel _not_ within its source tree. So I wouldn't need to
place 10 copies of the kernel onto disk / into memory...

Haven't I seen patches flyin' around? Anyone?

MfG, JBG

   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet!
   Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/