Re: more signal locking bugs?

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 01:36:56 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Manfred Spraul wrote:
>

>>What about this minimal patch? The performance critical operation is
>>signal delivery - we should fix the synchronization between signal
>>delivery and exec first.
>>

>Ok, I committed this alternative change, which isn't quite as minimal, but
>looks a lot cleaner to me.
>
>Also, looking at execve() and other paths, we do seem to have sufficient
>protection from the tasklist_lock that signal delivery should be fine. So
>despite a long and confused thread, I think in the end the only real bug
>was the one Martin found which should be thus fixed..

I'm not convinced that exec is correct.
app with two threads, cloned sighand and sig structures.
thread one does exec().
thread two does exit().

Now we can arrive at no_thread_group in de_thread() and
tsk->sig{,hand}->count == 1.

>no_thread_group:
>
> write_lock_irq(&tasklist_lock);
> spin_lock(&oldsighand->siglock);
> spin_lock(&newsighand->siglock);
>
> if (current == oldsig->curr_target)
> oldsig->curr_target = next_thread(current);

signal sender: in send_sig_info().
reads tsk->signal. blocks on tsk->sighand->siglock.

> if (newsig)
> current->signal = newsig;
> current->sighand = newsighand;
> init_sigpending(&current->pending);
> recalc_sigpending();
>
> spin_unlock(&newsighand->siglock);
> spin_unlock(&oldsighand->siglock);
> write_unlock_irq(&tasklist_lock);
>
> if (newsig && atomic_dec_and_test(&oldsig->count))
> kmem_cache_free(signal_cachep, oldsig);
>
> if (atomic_dec_and_test(&oldsighand->count))
> kmem_cache_free(sighand_cachep, oldsighand);

And now the signal sender continues. BOOM.
sighand structure, sig structure already kfreed, etc.

--
    Manfred