Re: [RFC] Little endian Cramfs on big endian machines?

From: Jörn Engel (joern@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 16:27:17 EST

On Sat, 1 February 2003 19:29:22 +0000, John Bradford wrote:

> Maybe the native machine endianness is used for performace reasons -
> that would make sense given the typical uses of cramfs. Also, it is a
> read-only filesystem, so a userland application could flip the
> endianness if a filesystem needs to be used on a non-native endianness
> machine.

Touchy matter.
Having two possible endianness options _will_ cause problems and hours
of lost work, since 50% of all users will get it wrong at least once.
And fixing bugs between keyboard and chair is not a fun job. :)

On the other hand, most filesystem data will be read more than once,
so performance does matter, at least a little.

> I'm not necessarily saying that that it's not a bug, just suggesting
> an explaination.

It is not a bug, it is a tradeoff. Do you want to waste time accessing
the filesystem or fixing so-called bugs and educating the users?

Jörn

--
And spam is a useful source of entropy for /dev/random too!
-- Jasmine Strong