Re: 2.4.20-pre11: PCI Wavelan card loses connection

From: Denis Vlasenko (vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 03:06:04 EST

On 13 January 2003 19:24, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:20:14AM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > I bought a PCI wireless card, a DLink-520 (I think, I forgot
> > exactly (it's at home), anyway, lspci dump is below).
> >
> > We (my father and me) made a fairly long helical aerial.
> > We are trying to communicate over ~15 km with a small wireless
> > cell. (~10 hosts, one AP).
> >
> > We can successfully associate with it, signal is weak as expected.
> > But after a short while our eth0 seems to 'fall off the net'
> > and while it looks like we can send packets, we see no incoming
> > data at all.
> >
> > Since I have almost zero wireless experience, I'll be happy if
> > someone with said experience can read further and say what bites
> > us.
>
> Personally, I never managed to get this hardware to work at
> all. And Orinoco is known to have problems with PrismII cards. Please
> use the HostAP or linux-wlan-ng driver.

Count me in. I want to make it work.

It's not a Prism II, it says Prism I. It is a D-Link DWL-520 PCI card.
Does that matter?

By the way, I wouldn't want to admit it, but it works much better under
Win98 (ick). It cycles between "Associated: (mac addr)" and "Scanning..."
for _several minutes_ before giving up. And ping is working all this time.
Under Linux, average time before failure is 20 sec :(

I presume card is considering AP to be too weak and try to find a better
one. There isn't any. How can I disable this reassociation or lower
reassociation threshold?

At the very least, how can I see whether it is associated or scanning?
Pointers to 802.1b docs? (I am googling in parallel...)

Meanwhile will download and look into HostAP.

--
vda