Re: [ANNOUNCE] contest benchmark v0.60

From: Ian Wienand (ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 00:24:00 EST

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:39:34PM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
> more I tried to add to it. Also there were subtle things happening in the
> BASH version that made for much more variation in results than this version.

I agree, it had begun to outgrow it's bash roots (e.g. i think it was
the ratio section with variables named a b c d e which drove me nuts
when I couldn't figure out which one was giving me a zero value).

> Possibly but clearly c has no major limitations once the hard part (the
> wrapper for the other applications) has been done.

I would disagree. For example, playing tricks with strings,
pipes/redirects and files in C is a complete pain, compared with
perl/python. Most of the things I changed with the orignal bash
version were in this subset, and it allowed me to customise it for
what we were doing quickly and easily.

-i
ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au