Re: More on Linux and iSCSI [info, not flame :)]

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@pyxtechnologies.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 03:19:16 EST

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:10:24PM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> [..]
> > > Don't know what the state of interop with other initiators is though.
> > >
> > > I'll also point out that for many Linux<->Linux purposes, nbd is a workable
> > > substitute.
> >
> > You are so correct in the Linux<->Linux model, but remember the other OS
> > has the dominate market space.
>
> Really? Must admit I haven't been paying attention to FreeBSD lately.. ;)

Nah, it is Bill's and Scott's world.

See Enterprise storage is the name of the game.
Ripping the heart out of the Fibre Channel Market is the goal.
The Democratization of Storage is my goal.

Recall the humor of Penguin World Domination ?
Well I am just paving the road for a place to Store it all !

> > I have proof of interoperability. Better yet I have performance
> > proof without the ability to control the benchmark environment.
>
> I'm sure that's great, but until it's also DFSG compliant, it's
> effectively vaporware in my book.

Oh that is as good as the uptime envy!

Thanks Google for the Cache and easy search!

   Debian Social Contract
... lists) for non-free software packages. The Debian Free Software Guidelines
(DFSG). Free Redistribution. The license of a Debian component ...
Category: Computers > Open Source > Licenses
www.debian.org/social_contract.html - 16k - Jan. 9, 2003 - Cached - Similar pages

> > IIRC that reference is set at version 6.
>
> They're actually up to 18.

That is nice to hear.

   This project is Intel Lab's software reference implementation of
   iSCSI. *SEE README FOR COMPATIBLE VERSIONING IN EACH RELEASE*
     * Development Status: 3 - Alpha
     * Intended Audience: Developers
     * License: BSD License
     * Natural Language: English
     * Operating System: Linux
     * Programming Language: C
     * Topic: System

That BSD only nicely keeps it out of Linux!

Regards,

Andre Hedrick, CTO & Founder
iSCSI Software Solutions Provider
http://www.PyXTechnologies.com/