Re: More on Linux and iSCSI [info, not flame :)]

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@pyxtechnologies.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 02:10:24 EST

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:36:50PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > So I thought I would inject some info into the discussion. :)
> >
> > Oliver Xymoron (and others?) mentioned that one could do iSCSI in
> > userspace. Well, Intel has code at
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/intel-iscsi
>
> The included userspace server is largely proof-of-concept code and
> could do with a fair amount of rounding out. Things this could use to
> make it interesting:
>
> - authentication
> - run-time configuration
> - ability to serve from files and block devices (MD, LVM, crypto-loop)
> - ability to serve from /dev/sgX interfaces with native SCSI (tapes, CDRW..)
>
> Don't know what the state of interop with other initiators is though.
>
> I'll also point out that for many Linux<->Linux purposes, nbd is a workable
> substitute.

You are so correct in the Linux<->Linux model, but remember the other OS
has the dominate market space. I have proof of interoperability. Better
yet I have performance proof without the ability to control the benchmark
environment. IIRC that reference is set at version 6.

The market space has version 7,8,9,11,12,13,16,18,19 working group
varitions. So please anyone who wants to compete, I welcome the
challenge. Do not forget the hardware, OS license investments.

Oh and Intel's Pro1000 T Storage Adaptor is a joy to work with, and you
all can try to figure it out on your own. Oh and be sure the take notice
the list of TOE's that do it sideways. All OS' mixing between ALL OS' is
the challenge.

Do not forget the other dozen or so RFC docs to support the entire
picture.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick, CTO & Founder
iSCSI Software Solutions Provider