Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 11:05:10 EST

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:52:50 EST, Richard Stallman said:
> If there was an ATT/Linux and an Intel/Linux,
> having a GNU/Linux would make some sense... but that is not the way it
> is. GNU/Linux is singular, so Linux makes a reasonable contraction.
>
> It would be reasonable, if not for the fact that it gives the wrong
> idea of who developed the system and--above all--why.

OK. Enough is enough.

I have no problems with Richard Stallman espousing a particular viewpoint of
how he and/or GNU and/or the FSF feel things should be. I don't even mind *too*
much when he proselytizes said view, even when it interferes with what *my*
goals are. I even see why the FSF requires copyright assignments for code.

However, since I haven't seen any FSF paperwork for assigning *motivations*
and *thoughts* to the FSF, I don't think there is *ANY* basis in saying that
there was a single unified "WHY" a large group of people working independently
developed something.

"All your code are belong to us" is bad enough. "All your thoughts are
belong to us" is totally over the edge.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer