P4 compile options

From: Margit Schubert-While (margitsw@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 07:12:43 EST

Quite so, Dave.
I just wondered what that might do with 2.4.xx.
Following is based on 2.4.xx.
In the next few days, I'll be setting up an Informix application on my P4 box.
This is a read-only app.
Bumping "shmmax" and configuring Informix ensures that all the data is
held in shared memory (after the initial read).
Thereafter, this is a tight semaphore/shared memory (also
user-program/Informix)
reaction with the kernel.
(This really gets the processor fan(s) going!)
This app takes ca. 80 mins on a dual P3 (1 GHz) and (Hmm) 90 mins on a
single P3 (1 GHz)
(Before anybody comments, all boxes (mine as well) have Adaptec
U160/controller/disks)
So, Let's just wait and see !

Margit