Re: [RFC] Raceless module interface

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 09:09:24 EST

On Friday 13 September 2002 15:52, Thunder from the hill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Friday 13 September 2002 08:51, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > > [cool code]
> >
> > Why is that different from:
> >
> > [more code]
>
> Because in your example, my_module_start() would not be able to run
> separately

That's obvious. What hasn't been shown is why that's necessary.

Note: this is the *real* meaning of "begs the question". You answered
my question "why is it necessary the these to be separate" with "because
if they were not separate, then you could not use them separately". In
logical terms, it amounts to "A because A". This is a logical falacy
called "begging the question".

When people say "begs the question", 99% of the time they really mean
"invites the question". As an exercise, try scanning lkml for "From
includes Torvalds" and "begs". Linus studied debating ;-)

--
Daniel