Re: ide drive dying?

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 12:42:29 EST

> Andre, can you fix start/stop counts, please?
>
> unWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sda
> Device: IBM DDYS-T18350N Version: S96H
> Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
> Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
> S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!
> Current Drive Temperature: 31 C
> Drive Trip Temperature: 85 C
> Current start stop count: 131072 times
> Recommended start stop count: 2555920 times
>
> SunWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sdb
> Device: IBM DDRS-34560D Version: DC1B
> Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
> Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
> S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!
>
> SunWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sdc
> Device: IBM DDRS-34560W Version: S71D
> Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
> Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
> S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!
>
> Smartsuite-2.1 (at least) missing some feather for SCSI.

Are you sure that it is not just the drive mis-reporting the start/stop counts? S.M.A.R.T. implementions are often flakey.

> BTW
> I had a double disk crash (same symptoms as in this thread) in a school's
> RAID5 with four Fujitsu MPG3204AT-EF (the ones with gel-lager, silent and
> reliable we hoped) last week...
> The shop for which I work from time to time got 71 disks of this type back
> (sold over the last 1.5 years). We switched to them after the "IBM" disaster.
> Maybe a "misdecision" ;-)
> What shall we sell safely, now...?
> MAXTOR?

I have *never* lost data to a Maxtor disk. I have had IBM, Fujitsu, Western Digital, and DEC drives all fail on me before.

It's dissapointing that Maxtor are reducing their warranty from 3 years to 1 year, but on the other hand, I've never needed it at all.

John.