Re: ide drive dying?

From: Dieter Nützel (Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 19:02:35 EST

On 7 Sep 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2002, Daniel Egger wrote:
>
> > Am Sam, 2002-09-07 um 17.02 schrieb jbradford@dial.pipex.com:
> >
> > > No, but you've upgraded the firmware, right?
> >
> > Not exactly. According to IBM technical support there is no such thing
> > as a new firmware. The drives are alright, the OS is broken.
>
> They are full of CRAP!
>
> IBM ran TASKFILE IO throught there bus analyzers and it came up clean.
> IBM also introduced FLAGGED versions of the diagnostic TASKFILE transport
> for eventual use of their DFT (Drive Fitness Test).
>
> You tell the service tech he is smoking crack.
> The kernel passed with flying colors in their disk labs. If you read
> in ide-taskfile.c version 0.33 and above, you will see they did some work
> on the driver and verified issues.

Sorry, that I step in but you said that you are working on smartsuite (2.1+),
again?

Andre, can you fix start/stop counts, please?

unWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sda
Device: IBM DDYS-T18350N Version: S96H
Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!
Current Drive Temperature: 31 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 85 C
Current start stop count: 131072 times
Recommended start stop count: 2555920 times

SunWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sdb
Device: IBM DDRS-34560D Version: DC1B
Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!

SunWave1 /home/nuetzel# /usr/local/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/sdc
Device: IBM DDRS-34560W Version: S71D
Device supports S.M.A.R.T. and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
S.M.A.R.T. Sense: Okay!

Smartsuite-2.1 (at least) missing some feather for SCSI.

Regards,
        Dieter

BTW
I had a double disk crash (same symptoms as in this thread) in a school's
RAID5 with four Fujitsu MPG3204AT-EF (the ones with gel-lager, silent and
reliable we hoped) last week...
The shop for which I work from time to time got 71 disks of this type back
(sold over the last 1.5 years). We switched to them after the "IBM" disaster.
Maybe a "misdecision" ;-)
What shall we sell safely, now...?
MAXTOR?

--