Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: VLAN and Network Drivers 2.4.x

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 13:07:23 EST

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:49:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> The tulip patch is butt-ugly - the oversized allocation isn't needed,
> and it just flat-out turns off large packet protection. That's really
> not what you want to do, even for the best tulip cards. If an oversized
> gram (non-VLAN) makes it into a network which such a patched tulip
> driver, you can DoS.

  It all depends... At least the cisco switches I have used have
  protection by controlling on how large frames you can send, and
  having automatic enlarging of frame size for VLAN Trunking port.

  Of course those switches have some amounts of "jumbogram support"
  as well at port by port basis.

  So perhaps you can DoS your machine off the net (or your stream
  very least), but not other machines.

> Jeff

/Matti Aarnio