Re: Using kernel_fpu_begin() in device driver - feasible or not?

From: Steffen Persvold (sp@scali.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 09:20:06 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > 1. Would it be sufficient to just bracket all fpu-using code code by
> > kernel_fpu_begin()/kernel_fpu_end()? If not, what problems could I
> > run into?
>
> You can do that providing you dont
>
> > 2. Would it be OK to go to sleep inside such a region, or should I
> > take care to avoid that?
>
> You can't sleep in such a region - there is nowhere left to store the
> FPU context
>
> > 3. Perhaps I should call init_fpu() at some point as well? If so,
> > should it be done before or after kernel_fpu_begin()?
>
> After
>
> > 4. Is there any difference between doing this in the context of a user
> > process (implementation of an ioctl) compared to doing it in a
> > daemonized kernel thread (created by a loadable kernel module)?
>
> The kernel thread is actually easier, you can happily corrupt its user
> FPU context by sleeping since you are the only FPU user for the thread.
> Not nice, not portable but should work fine on x86 without any of the
> above for the moment.
>
> You should probably also test the FPU is present and handle it accordingly
> with polite messages not an oops 8)

So are kernel_fpu_begin()/kernel_fpu_end() (and also init_fpu()) necessary in a kernel thread at all
? Does kernel_fpu_begin()/kernel_fpu_end() take care of SSE and MMX registers too (I'm aware of the
extra "emms" needed in the MMX case) ?

Regards,

--
  Steffen Persvold   | Scalable Linux Systems |   Try out the world's best
 mailto:sp@scali.com |  http://www.scali.com  | performing MPI implementation: