Re: What does AddrMarkNotFound mean?

From: DevilKin (devilkin-lkml@blindguardian.org)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 09:16:14 EST

On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:11, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
> >> Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
> >> blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
> >> should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
> >> problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?
> >
> > Its a disk error (it can't find the index marks for a sector). In
> > general its a bad sign and you might want to check the smart data for
> > the disk.
> >
> > If you bought an IBM disk within the last 18 months or so check for
> > new firmware, flash it if so and reformat it before panicing and
> > assuming the worst.
>
> Having done precisely that, and ended up owning an IBM hard drive that
> has hit exactly this problem, like so many before this, this firmware
> upgrade idea is rather appealing. It would be nice to be able to trust
> the drive...
>
> ...but I can't seem to find the firmware anywhere on the IBM storage
> site or, in fact, anywhere. Have you any hints as to where I might
> look?

It isn't on the site.

> It's a DTLA-307030, made in Hungary, if that makes it easier to help. :)

The firmware can be found here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/ibmhddtest.htm

I must say that personally I've had this IBM DTLA drive for over 1.5 years
now, and I haven't seen any problems with it whatsoever.
A friend of mine had the same problems (bad sectors), he reformatted the
drive with the IBM drive tool and got rid of all bad sectors.

> Thanks,
> Daniel

Good luck revamping your drive!

DK