Re: RFC: /proc key naming consistency

From: Luke Burton (luke.burton@db.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 18:31:52 EST

> What do you think about the idea earlier in this thread of going with
> shell-parsable key value pairs? I find that idea really attractive,
> but there's the issue of breaking utilities (kde control panel?) that
> already parse the existing format.

Shell parseable /proc/* entries would be so much more elegant to deal with
compared to the old system. I would guess that maintainers for things like
KDE would jump at the opportunity to decrease the complexity of their
code.

A compatibility mode might be useful. Either a straight config option, or
perhaps something more sophisticated. Idea: perhaps proc functions
installed with create_proc_read_entry could, rather than just write
strings to buffers, return a list of key/value pairs which is rendered in
some configurable format by a new function, like "proc_render_values".
proc_render_values could use a column format like it does now, or a shell
parseable foo=blah\n format.

Or even XML. Ouch! No need to throw things at me!

Regards,

Luke.

--

Ash OS durbatulk, ash OS gimbatul, Ash OS thrakatulk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul! Uzg-Microsoft-ishi amal fauthut burguuli.