Re: secure erasure of files?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 19:03:31 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Jan Hudec wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know if any filesystem currently relocates blocks if you
> > > overwrite a file, but it's certainly possible and allowed (everything
> > > else except the filesystem itself simply must not care where the data
> > > actually ends up on the disk).
> >
> > AFAIK, ext2 tries to defragment files when possible.
>
> We wish.

ext2meta will defragment yer files for ya, though. Coming soon to a
kernel near you :)

My home directory disk, a raid-1 mirror, just crossed 15 percent
fragmentation last week, I noticed... The filesystem is maybe 1.5-2
years old.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024    |  through an internally-buttered weasel."