Re: Problem with mke2fs on huge RAID-partition

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:16:57 EST

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Francois Romieu wrote:

> Raid1 is software only.
> As soon as a filesystem on the promise adapter comes into play, writes maxes
> out at 2,5Mo/s. The previous machine (old PA2012 motherboard) with 8 times
> less memory was able to stand 4~5Mo/s with vanilla broken kernel.
> Now it's running 2.4.18-pre3-ac2 but the behavior is the same with vanilla
> pre, vanilla + akpm ll, +ide patches. Feel free to ask if you want a test on a
> specific version. I have dedicated a partition on each disk for testing.

I don't have a fix for this directly, but the slow speed can be fixed on
many Promise controllers with hdparm. Testing the transfer rate of some of
my mature (ATA/66) drives, I find that raising the transfer rate from 3MB
to 14MB is often possible after setting the options.

NOTE: wrong options will hose your data! WHich is why I don't tell you
what to use, just look at -m -c (I use 3), -d and -X34. Again, it may bite
you, have backups.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc