Re: Problem with mke2fs on huge RAID-partition

From: Francois Romieu (romieu@cogenit.fr)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 14:57:34 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> :
[...]
> The limit is about 1Tb currently. You are hitting something else, perhaps
> a driver or VM problem ?

Promise driver + 2.4.17, see:

                 | Intel | Promise
-----------------+-------+--------
raid1 creation | fast | fast
dd of=filesystem | fast | slow (*)

mkfs doesn't behaves too badly but it did when I first tried to raid1 the
whole disks.

Raid1 is software only.
As soon as a filesystem on the promise adapter comes into play, writes maxes
out at 2,5Mo/s. The previous machine (old PA2012 motherboard) with 8 times
less memory was able to stand 4~5Mo/s with vanilla broken kernel.
Now it's running 2.4.18-pre3-ac2 but the behavior is the same with vanilla
pre, vanilla + akpm ll, +ide patches. Feel free to ask if you want a test on a
specific version. I have dedicated a partition on each disk for testing.

--
Ueimor