Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Alex (mail_ker@xarch.tu-graz.ac.at)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 07:47:42 EST

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Alex wrote:
>
> > > You're still going to need user interaction for a lot of these.
> > That is why I recommended that the textfile is the output of an
> > interactive hardware-detection tool. Yes, interactive. :-)
>
> vim /etc/modules.conf
> is about as interactive as it gets.

Modules.conf is not all there is. What if modules.conf resides on an
scsi-harddisk with an scsi controller who is just making the problem of
ancient hardware in the first case ? etc.etc. You are running around with
the underlying assumption that you can - indeed - *acess* modules.conf via
*already detected* hardware. This is not the same assumption my textfile
example operates from. My textfile-for-kernel operates from the assumption
that *almost nothing whatsoever* on hardware is "fixed compiled" in the
kernel at the moment we're talking about it, and that the precompiled
modules will probably be loaded from the distro cd etc....

Later, Alex