Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 07:33:21 EST

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 20:14:42 -0600
"M.H.VanLeeuwen" <vanl@megsinet.net> wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> Here is what I've run thus far. I'll add nfs file copy into the mix also...

Ah, Martin, thanks for sending the patch. I think I saw the voodoo in your
patch. When I did that last time I did _not_ do this:

+ if (PageReferenced(page)) {
+ del_page_from_inactive_list(page);
+ add_page_to_active_list(page);
+ }
+ continue;

This may shorten your inactive list through consecutive runs.

And there is another difference here:

+ if (max_mapped <= 0 && nr_pages > 0)
+ swap_out(priority, gfp_mask, classzone);
+

It sounds reasonable _not_ to swap in case of success (nr_pages == 0).
To me this looks pretty interesting. Is something like this already in -aa?
This patch may be worth applying in 2.4. It is small and looks like the right
thing to do.

Regards,
Stephan