Re: system.map

From: Timothy Covell (timothy.covell@ashavan.org)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 15:35:43 EST

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 14:19, Kilobug wrote:
> > 5. sync;sync;shutdown -r now
>
> Is there any particular reason for this double sync ? One isn't enough ?
> (And is sync even needed with shutdown, all should be synced when
> filesystems are unmounted or remounted read-only, am I wrong ? )

The double sync is tradition. SysV init scripts should sync things,
but "sync;sync;reboot" or "sync;sync;halt" are not so nice in how
they go down; so it's a case of being extra careful. I don't use
linux all the time, and some of the other unices are less tolerant.
(For example, on a sun box, I would prefer a double sync before I
"<stop>-a".)

--
timothy.covell@ashavan.org.