kjournald tries to access beyond raid device

From: Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo (jose@jaimedelamo.eu.org)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 10:47:17 EST

  Hello!

   I'm suffering some problems last two days with (seems ext3)
   It happens both for 2.4.16 and 2.4.15 (I have not checked yet what
  happens with 2.4.17).

   The log I get is attached below, but seems that kjournald is trying
  to access beyond the device limits. This makes all access to that
  device impossible (even trying to umount it) and I have to reboot
  the system. After that, the journal is played and all seems fine.
  But after a while the error appears again. It seems that it has nothing
  to do with an concrete event, but some process trying to write
  something to disk (usually exim/procmail)

   The device that fails is a software RAID 5 device (/dev/md3) with
  three SCSI hard disks attached to an adaptec UW controller 19160.

   I have another 3 raid devices (RAID 5 and RAID 0 levels), which have
  not suffered any problem at the moment. I have also other RAID 0
  device with reiserfs.

   Anyway, currently I have returned to ext2 in all my devices for
  safety (this is a production server)

   The modules I have loaded are:
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    ipt_MASQUERADE 1248 1 (autoclean)
    iptable_nat 12884 0 (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE]
    ip_conntrack 13324 1 (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE
    iptable_nat]
    ip_tables 10560 4 [ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat]
    nfsd 66624 8 (autoclean)
    lockd 48288 1 (autoclean) [nfsd]
    sunrpc 59604 1 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
    reiserfs 148448 1 (autoclean)
    ne2k-pci 5056 1
    8390 6016 0 [ne2k-pci]
    3c59x 24968 1

   I also can send you my configure file if you need it.
   Also, if you need any other info, please e-mail me. I have the
   SysRQ+T and the SysRQ+P log just after the failure.

     Thank you

     José Carlos García Sogo
     jsogo@jaimedelamo.eu.org