Re: IDE Harddrive Performance

From: Brendan Pike (spike@superweb.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 10:44:47 EST

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 11:32 am, Thomas Deselaers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do have an Asus P2B-S Mainboard and since a week I have a Maxtor 60 GB
> 5400 rpm Harddrive (MAXTOR 4K060H3).
>
> I tried the performance of the drive and got some results which are quite
> low I think.
>
> hdparm -t /dev/hdc returns
>
> /dev/hdc:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 5.63 seconds = 11.37 MB/sec
>
> What would be a value I can expect from my hardware? And what might result
> in higher speeds?
>
> thanks,
> thomas

I dont really know, I dont think its possible to get higher then that from a
5400 RPM disk. Heres mine,

FUJITSU 40.9GB MPG3409AT 5400 RPM

/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 7.96 seconds = 8.04 MB/sec
/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 7.07 seconds = 9.05 MB/sec
/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 6.70 seconds = 9.55 MB/sec

Seems pretty normal to me. However yours is alot better then mine.