Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 13:41:25 EST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> I never said that Alan, or any particular individual, should risk a lawsuit or
> jail. I simply said that I hoped *someone outside the US* (that is, someone not
> subject to US laws) would make the information available.

tell that to dimitri skylarov, I'm sure he'd love to here it.

> Surely there are
> places in the world that are beyond the reach of the DMCA. How about those
> European sites that made strong encryption available to circumvent the US export
> restrictions on encryption technology? I never heard of the FBI raiding any of
> them.
>
> Wayne
>

> George Garvey <tmwg-linuxknl@inxservices.com> on 10/22/2001 12:35:53 PM
>
> To: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
> cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>
> Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10
>

> So you want to make the decision for Alan to get into a lawsuit and
> possibly go to jail to fight the law? Will you pay his legal bills? Will
> you take over his maintenance duties if necessary? Will you give him a
> job when he's done if it comes to that?
> That's a personal decision, don't you think? Who can judge another
> without knowing their circumstances? Do you understand the situation at
> all? Truthfully, I don't.
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:21:43PM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> > It's highly unlikely that Alan withholding information from a handful
> > of US Linux users and developers will have any effect on US laws.
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.