Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 09:21:53 EST

> This is something that is not present in other unix filesystems as far as I can
> tell. If linux wants to be used in enterprise sites we can't allow
> old data blocks to be read. And ideally shouldn't allow zero blocks to be seen
> either, but this is somewhat less serious.

> I cannot reproduce this in ufs on either freebsd or solaris8.

It can happen on UFS. What normally happens on UFS is that you get an old
file attached to a new filename when the file is deleted and the inode
reused.

Basically it can happen on any no data logging fs (with a few exceptions for
other clever algorithms like tree-phase)

If you write the metadata block first (UFS) then there is a risk of getting
someone elses data appended to the end of a file (eg length updated before
data blocks). If you write data first there is a risk of writing the data
and never committing the removal of the block from previous files.

FreeBSD softupdates probably make it very hard to trigger and they are a
very nice approach