Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 15:55:46 EST

At 20:37 26/07/2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> > In looking at the synchronous directory options, I'm unsure as to
> > the 'real' status wrt fsync() on a directory:
> > 1) Does fsync() of a directory work on most/all current FS?
>
>Modulo bugs, yes.
>
>Now, there's another issue, of course: if you have an important mail-spool
>on some of the less tested filesystems, I would consider you crazy
>regardless of fsync() working ;). I don't think anybody has ever verified
>that fsync() (or much anything else wrt writing) does the right thing on
>NTFS, for example.

NTFS doesn't even have an fsync() operation defined so calling fsync()
system call won't do anything at all. A quick look at
fs/buffer.c::sys_fsync() shows it will return -EINVAL straight away.

But considering the fsync, even if present may well trash the file or the
whole partition's data, it's just as well it doesn't happen...

Anton

--
   "Nothing succeeds like success." - Alexandre Dumas
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/