Re: nfs weirdness

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 15:46:52 EST

On Thursday July 26, roel@grobbebol.xs4all.nl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 08:54:14PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> > If you ask to export "/windows" and nothing is mounted on "/windows",
> > then you are asking to export part of the root filesystem starting at
> > "/windows". If you subsequently mount something on /windows, then you
> > haven't asked for that to be exported so it won't be, and mountd will
> > get confused.
> > You should always mount filesystems before trying to export them.
>

> well, I tested it for trouble shooting. if I mount the /windows vfat and
> export with knfsd it fails. if I do not moiut the vfat, it does. ergo,
> the config files are okay, knfsd refuses.
>

> somebody else pointed out in private mail that knfsd isn't supposed to
> be able to export vfat filesystems and unfsd could. if he is correct, I
> will have to onstall the other utils again and install unfsd
> instead.

Yep, current kernels do not support exporting of FAT based filesystems.
There is a patch at:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.7/patch-E-fatnfs

that should fix this. I have done minimal testing, but I am waiting
for someone who actually needs to use this functionality to try it out
and confirm that it works for real-life situations before I recommend
it to Linus.

NeilBrown