Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka "I stick my neck out a mile..."

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 14:25:36 EST

Peter Samuelson <peter@cadcamlab.org>:
> [esr]
> > Besides, right now the configurator has a simple invariant. It will
> > only accept consistent configurations
>
> So you are saying that the old 'vi .config; make oldconfig' trick is
> officially unsupported? That's too bad, it was quite handy.

Depends on how you define `unsupported'. Make oldconfig will tell you
exactly and unambiguously what was wrong with the configuration. I think
if you're hard-core enough to vi your config, you're hard-core enough to
interpret and act on

    This configuration violates the following constraints:
    (X86 and SMP==y) implies RTC!=n

without needing some wussy GUI holding your hand :-).

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun. -- R. Buckminster Fuller - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/