RE: About rebuild 2.4.x kernel to support SMP.

From: Yiping Chen (YipingChen@via.com.tw)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 11:24:01 EST

Thanks for your reply.
I am interested in where can find the linux kernel spec. file, and where Red
Hat add the smp string?
Where the uname command extract the kernel version information(eg:
2.4.2-2smp or 2.2.16)?
I means from which file, or use which system call?

I am a linux driver writer, and I am writing Makefile now. I hope the
Makefile can install driver
to the correct directory automatically (user run 'make install').
The linux driver modules always put in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>/...
before (in kernel 2.2.16),
but in kernel 2.4.x, the path change to
/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/...
I don't know where to get the kernel_version information. I need some help.
Thanks!!
may I use uname? I worry that the driver will install to incorrect path, and
user will complain it.
thanks!!